“Important patents” show 5 different graphs for the top 10 patents in that technology field that:
- Have been cited the most and are therefore the most influential/prolific.
- Belong to the 10 largest families that have the furthest reach in terms of global coverage.
- Have the longest pendency (period between the application date and the issue date) to identify any controversial patents.
- Have the highest number of claims and therefore the greatest technical coverage.
- Have been involved in litigation cases for the longest time and therefore can be considered more important.