In Insights, you can create a Technology Dashboard that allows you to gain a better understanding on patent activity within a particular technology field. This dashboard uses patent data that corresponds to your search and produces a number of graphs that will enable you to understand the activity within that field and what the future holds for it.
This article covers information about:
- Setting up a Technology Dashboard
- Charts in Technology Dashboard
Setting up a Technology Dashboard
On your Insights Homepage, you will find the Technology Dashboard under the Dashboard section. To set up a Technology Dashboard, click on the "Create Analysis" button.
Subsequently, you will be able to choose from three different ways to create a Dashboard: Keywords, Query, or Workspace.
Here's an example of creating a technology dashboard using Keywords:
Using a Query:
And using a Workspace:
Once you're happy with the selection, click "create technology dashboard" and you'll see the technology dashboard page. The dashboard shows pieces of financial data and other information about the most prolific companies in that specific field of technology.
On the top right corner of the page, you will see a toolbar that gives you options to change dashboard settings.
Let's go through each of the options in the toolbar.
1. View all Patents
View patents in Analytics.
Export dashboards in PDF, PPT, EXCEL or WORD format.
3. Share Dashboard
Share the dashboard with co-workers.
Delete dashboards you no longer need.
There are 2 different tabs on the settings menu.
The first option is 'Dashboard settings', where you are able to change the name of your Dashboard or to modify the data source behind it.
The second option is 'Analysis Preferences', where you are able to modify the way your results are displayed, and toggle stemming on or off.
On every dashboard page, there are three different filters you can make use of. They are located at the top left corner of the Dashboard view, and they will allow you to customize your dashboard's content even further.
1. Database selection tool
Allows you to filter results by country.
2. IPC Sub Class
Allows you to filter by IPC Sub Class
3. More Filters
More filters allow you to filter by Application Year, Publication Year, Simple Legal Status, Patent Type, CPC Sub Class and Litigation Database.
Charts in Technology Dashboard
Below we'll go through the different chart options under the Technology Dashboard. Each section allows you to view the data in different chart types (pie chart, bar graph, bubble chart, and more) along with a description. Each chart within the technology dashboard that compares 3 variables has the option to view in bubble chart format.
Here's how you can easily toggle between different chart types:
The first option on the left is 'Overview'. The overview gives you a quick snapshot of the dashboard in a single view. This option allows you to access information faster and highlights the most useful information.
The Overview page shows the top 6 charts:
- Application and Grant Trend
- Technology Life Cycle
- Top Countries
- Top Assignees
- Key Patents
- Market Valued Patents
2. Innovation Profile
Innovation Profile shows the following 4 charts:
- Application and Grant Trend shows the annual application and the annual grant trend of the technology field. It's helpful to understand the rate of applications over a period of time.
- Simple Legal Status displays simple legal status breakdown of the technology field.
- Patent Type breakdown gives an indication of the focus of the organizations operating in a specific technology space.
- Technology Life Cycle analyzes the change in the number of applications and patent applications over time to understand the life cycle of the technology space.
Here's a quick view of the charts in Innovation Profile:
3. Geographic Territories
Geographic Territories shows the following 7 charts:
- Top Countries of Origin shows you the breakdown of countries in which the earliest application was filed, by the number of patent records.
- Application Trend in Countries of Origin shows an annual trend of earliest applications in a specific technology field within the top countries of origin.
- Top Countries shows the geographic coverage of where patent applications have been filed.
- Application Trend in Top Countries shows the yearly application trend of the Top Countries within the technology field.
- IP5 Territory Distribution analyzes the origin and protection of technology in IP5 (EP, CN, JP, KR and US)
- Top Chinese Provinces shows the number of records patents for this technology field within the different provinces and cities across China.
- Application Trend in Chinese Provinces shows the yearly application trend of patent applications in a specific field of technology by Chinese province.
Below is a quick view of the charts in Geographic Territories:
4. Key Technologies
Key Technologies dashboard shows the following 4 charts.
- Key Technologies gives you a snapshot of major technology areas. This chart is specifically useful to find potential opportunities for licensing or for finding white space.
- Application Trend of Key Technologies is helpful to understand how different key technology areas have changed over time.
- Geographic Distribution of Key Technologies helps you to see the top targeted markets by analyzing the distribution of key technologies across the top 10 jurisdictions.
- Top Assignees of Key Technologies shows the major players in specific Technology space.
A quick view of the charts within the Key Technologies dashboard:
5. Assignee Analysis
Assignee Analysis dashboard has the following charts:
- Assignee Overview shows financials for top assignees.
- Top Assignees displays the companies with the largest patent portfolios in that specific technology field.
- Assignee Concentration analyzes the market share of top companies in a specific field of technology.
- New Entrants helps you to identify the new entrants in a field of technology.
- Assignee Relationships enables you to analyze relationships between assignees involved in the development of an invention. You can zoom in/out of this chart.
- Technology focus of Top Assignees analyzes the technology focus of the top assignees.
- Application Trend of Top Assignees shows the yearly application trend of the top assignees.
- Geographic Distribution of Top Assignees shows the geographic distribution of the top assignees.
- Cell diagram shows keywords and phrases of records owned by top current assignees in the technology field.
Quick view of the charts within Assignee Analysis:
6. Inventor Analysis
Inventor Analysis contains the following charts:
- Top Inventors chart shows the top inventors in a specific field of technology.
- Application Trend of Inventors shows the annual application trend of the top inventors.
- Analyze Inventor Partnerships assesses the relationships between top inventors to help you identify the inventive teams that work together in a technology area. This chart can be zoomed in/out.
Quick view of the charts in Inventor Analysis:
7. Key Patents
Key Patents contains the following charts:
- Most Cited Patents shows the top 10 records that have been most frequently cited.
- Largest Invention Families helps you understand which patent family has the most extensive coverage.
- Most Claim-Heavy Patents shows patents that have the highest number of claims (dependent / independent)
- Most Litigated Patents displays patents involved in the most number of litigation cases.
A quick view of the charts in Key Patents:
8. Market Valued Patents
Market valued patents contains the following charts:
- Value Overview displays the value of patents across the technology space.
- Portfolio Value Distribution helps you assess the lucrativeness of a technology space based on the spread of estimated patent valuation.
- Technology Area Benchmark compares the searched technology's estimated patent value within each IPC class with the average estimated patent values across all assignees within each IPC class. .
- Highest Market-Valued Patents identifies the intellectual property gems within a technology field and discovers which of the inventions have the highest market-valuation and lucrative potential.
Quick view of the charts in Market Valued Patents:
9. Licensing Deals
Licensing deals contains only one chart
- Annual In-Licensing and Out-Licensing shows the licensing activity of the technology space over time.
10. Patent Litigation
Patent litigation contains the following charts:
- Litigation Overview outlines the litigation information related to the technology space.
- Litigated Concepts helps you understand the keywords and concepts associated with patents involved in litigation.
- Basis of Termination summarizes case details and helps to understand how cases have been resolved in a specific technology field. The chart shows a breakdown of the basis of termination (US and GB data).
- Litigation Timeline displays the frequency of litigation associated to the technology space.
- Most Assertive Plaintiffs Identifies the top 10 most litigious organizations in the technology space. These organizations may pose a greater litigation threat to nearby players.
- Longest Litigated Cases lists the lengthiest litigation cases. Patents involved in long litigation cases may protect the technology that is valuable to the company that owns it.
A quick view of the charts in Patent Litigation:
11. Innovation Word Clouds
- Innovation Word Cloud is a snapshot view of the keywords and phrases found within records in the technology space. It displays the most frequently occurring keywords of the most recent 5,000 publications in the technology field.
- Wheel of Innovation categorizes the most frequently occurring keywords of the most recent 5,000 publications in the technology field into a 2-tier hierarchy.
Quick view of the charts in Innovation Word Clouds:
12. Technology Landscaping
- The Technology Landscape enables you to visualize the layout of the technology space, with peaks representing a more concentrated area of patenting activity and troughs representing areas of little or no activity.