Topics in Discovery display recent trends and latest news about specific subject areas. If you want to see information related to a certain topic in your home feed, you can follow that topic.
- Where to find topics?
- Topic map
- Topic profile page
- How to stay up to date on your technology area of interest
Where to find topics?
You can find topics in two different locations within Discovery. You can find them from the "Topics" and "My Follow" options in the left-hand side bar.
When you click on the "Topics" option, you will be directed to the topic browser.
There are two ways to navigate to topics from this page. Either you can use the drop-downs or use the search bar.
The second option will initially list topics that match your query and then related topics below that.
For each topic, you have the option to "Explore" it in graphical form or to "View analysis" based on it.
If you click on the "Explore" option for a topic, then you will taken to a map for it, which will look something like the below.
There are two types of connections between the topics:
- Hierarchy: There will be a grey arrow when one topic is hierarchically above another topic in the map. The arrow will pointed towards the subtopic.
- Related: There will a blue line between two topics if we consider them to be closely related.
The darker shade of blue the circle, the more mature the academic research around it is.
There are 3 options that you can select for each topic:
- Fold/expand sub and parent topics: This will allow you to fold/expand the hierarchical relationships from this topic. This can be in either direction, either for the sub-topics of the selected topic or topics that are sub-topics of the selected topic.
- Fold/expand related topics: This will allow you to fold/expand the top most related topics for the selected topics.
- View analysis: This will allow you to perform analysis based on the selected topic.
On the right-hand side of the screen, you will see a postcard of information about the topic. You can also perform analysis from here.
The Snapshot will provide you with a brief introduction to the topic and statistics on the number of results for each of the data types.
Insights will provide you with a list of the top players and experts in this field along with patent and literature trend charts for this topic.
Two final options you have in this map is to search for topics and to change the display setup.
Topic profile page
When you first reach the topic profile page, you will see that you are also able to follow from this page and view Explore related topics.
At the top of the page, you will see a brief description of this topic, statistics on the number of results for each data type for this topic and parent/child/related topics.
Below this, you will see various charts related to this topic:
- Academic literature publication trend: This chart shows the annual publication count of relevant literature in the field. This is helpful to understand the development trend of academic research in this field.
- Patent application & grant trend: This chart shows the number of patent applications and the number of granted patents resulting from applications filed in the same year. This is helpful to understand the rate of applications over a period of time, whether the technology is recent, or whether it is heading towards stagnancy.
- Investment trend: This chart shows the annual investment transactions related to the field. This is helpful to understand the trend of investment amount and transaction number over time.
- Merger & Acquisition trend: This chart shows the annual M&A situation of the field. This is helpful to understand the trend of M&A activity in this field over time.
- Literature publication geographic distribution: This chart shows the number of publications based on affiliated locations. This is helpful to understand which countries have conducted the most research.
- Patent geographic distribution: This chart shows the distribution of patent applications of the field. This is helpful to understand the major market for the applications of relevant technologies.
- Top countries publication trend: This chart shows the trend in the top countries where literature has been published for this field. This is helpful to more precisely understand which countries have conducted the most research.
- Top countries patent trend: This chart shows the trend in the top countries where patents applications have been published for this field. This is helpful to more precisely understand the major market for the applications of relevant technologies.
- Market sectors: The figure shows the most popular market sectors mentioned in the market reports.
- Latest Market reports: This chart shows the most recently published market reports regarding this field.
There are the following charts regarding the key players both academically and business wise for this topic:
- Research affiliation: This graph plots the top research affiliations in the current tech area.
- Research expert: This graph plots the top academic research experts in the current tech area.
- Tech leads: This graph plots the key players who are dominant in patent filing in the current tech area.
- New entrants: This graph plots the new entry players who started filing patents in the current tech area within the last 3 years.
In this area, you are able to filter based on various date ranges (Last year/Last 3 years/Last 5 years) and whether to show primary or emerging tech.
The charts given in this areas are as follows:
- Emerging tech topics: This graph compares the emerging technologies that best fits your conditions. Those with biggest growth rate could potentially be the most promising technologies. Those with most papers would be this year’s main stream research topics.
- Research trend overview: This graph help understand the overall developing trend of each topics. You may select your interested topics for comparison.
- Emerging technologies: The table is showing all emerging technologies and the top players under those areas or experts or institutions who owned the technologies.
In this area, you will find the following information:
- Latest News: This will show you the latest key news items related to this field.
- Literature Journals: This will show you the latest journals, conferences and most cited journals related to this field.
- Patents: This will show the latest, highest value and most cited patents related to this field.
- VC Investment & M&A: This will show you the latest and top VC Investments and M&A's related to this field.
How to stay up to date on your technology area of interest
By following a topic, you will be able to stay up to date with what's going on within this technology area. This will send alerts to your inbox of any news updates that have occurred which relate to this topic area.
We will also post these updates in your personalized home feed.